Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Comment on Booklovers.pbwiki.com

I just ventured onto the BookLovers wiki, and clicked on their 5-Star books list. Believe it or not, The DaVinci Code was one of them. Now, I am not sure how they rated their books, but I would be hard-pressed to give that overly contrived, unbelievable, and inaccurate book anywhere NEAR five stars, and it had a terrible, rushed ending to boot, but I digress...

As the wiki of a Summer Reading Club for a library, I immediately saw just how great a tool it really was, since members could not only write about their books and interect with comments and ratings, but everyone seems to have had equal access. This is something I wish we could get going at our library, perhaps for our book clubs, but we have a paltry amount of people with computer access or the skills to even use one in our current book club.

Perhaps when and if we begin a Teen Book Club, this is the format I will use. Although I envision adding RSS feeds to it, maybe a polling area where people can rate books with real time results, and finally, if it works out well, we can incorporate a running "Review Board" of teens that will constantly update our Wiki with review and comments accessible to other teens looking for guidance on books from someone, unlike me, that is their own age!

No comments: